Elder Chandler Hyer

Elder Chandler Hyer
Elder Chandler Hyer

Monday, April 18, 2016

Planalto - Asa Norte - Brasilia Week 13

 District Leader/Trainer, Church Cancelled?, Impeachment

Tuesday was transfer meeting and we got the big news telling us that Elder Machado, my companion, would be leaving the area. He is being sent to Palmas, Tocantins which is in the northern most part of our mission and is incredibly hot! Then I got the news that I would be the new District Leader in the area and that I would also be training a new missionary! So all that day I sat in the chapel waiting for the new missionaries with the other trainers. It was fun to visit but we pretty much did nothing else until the new missionaries arrived, and then I met my new companion, Elder Costa!

So Elder Costa is from Rio Grande do Sul. He is a master violin and piano player (like seriously he's really good). He is waiting on a visa just like I had to in Washington except he is going to be serving in the Salt Lake City South mission which should be cool! He is a great missionary, very enthusiastic, and he also cooks!

So with the trainee in hand, (not that we were literally holding hands), we went to work! and the week was awesome! We met again with Daniel. He is still on track for baptism and we confirmed him to go to church yesterday. We also received a sweet referral last week that we contacted and also confirmed for church. Then the worst happened, church was cancelled!

Yep, so for those of you who don't know, Dilma Rousseff is the president here and she has like a 10% or less approval rating. Everyone just hates her! So there have been lots of protests here in Brasilia and yesterday was the day of voting to impeach the president, and it got passed! So there was so much protesting and demonstrating in the streets that our Mission President told us to stay inside all day and they cancelled church in the area for safety reasons... I can't tell you how awful it is to call your investigators who are all hyped to visit the church and tell them that it is cancelled... but oh well, hopefully things go better next week.

So Sunday, instead of church, we went to a member who lives across the street and stayed pretty much the entire day there eating and talking and sleeping, which was nice but also just annoying and unproductive as a missionary. But overall things are great, I'm gonna get on my companion's case to teach me piano and I'll come home a master! maybe...

Anyways love you all so much, Hope you all have a fairly decent week.

No comments:

Post a Comment